If you are a follower of Jesus, you should esteem His Holy Word and desire more of it in your life. It is the way to transformation. My scripture testimony is that the more I get in my life, the more I love it. The more I love it, the more I love the Author. My life makes more sense, and I have more peace.
Psalm 1:1-3 Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the<, and who meditates on his law day and night. That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither—whatever they do prospers.
Sometimes we know we need to read the Bible, but we are slow to obey. I always say, do the opposite of what you feel like doing regarding Christian faith practices. If you want more peace, tamp down your anxiety level, and have a sense of closeness to God, then intentionally add scripture to your life.
Here are a few ideas:
- Have a committed morning time with God reading His Word and praying. If you have trouble with focus, read out loud.
- YouTube has scripture reading with nature sounds or music and a variety of options to hear scripture.
- If a scripture keeps coming up, write it on a card. Put the card on the bathroom mirror or your desk. Say it every chance you get.
- Get an app on your phone that sends you a scripture. Some apps read scripture to you while you’re folding clothes or running errands.
- Write scripture. Write a chapter of the Bible. Write a book of the Bible.
- While waiting anywhere, read the Bible.
Any effort you make to get more scripture in your life brings stability and purpose. You actively engage the presence of God’s Spirit in your life, and you will feel peace as you focus on His Word.
I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against thee. Psalm119:11