Just like the lego man was built one piece at a time, when you engage Scripture, you are investing and building for yourself a strong life in Christ. Valerie Rumfelt
In the comments of my last article, a reader asked me a question. I decided to answer her question with another article. I told her to look for another article soon. My desire is to answer her question so all my readers will see it and that she will see the answer too.
I’ve done a bit of Scripture memorization in the past, but I haven’t been consistent with it. Do you have any tips for committing Scripture to memory?
5 Tips for Scripture Memory:
1. Choose Scripture that the Spirit has highlighted for you in your morning quiet time. This way, it isn’t a random scripture but one with a meaningful connection.
2. Engage with the Scripture as much as you can. Many tips are in the articles here: https://valerierumfelt.com/2023/02/14/the-ultimate-love-letter, and this one, https://valerierumfelt.com/2023/01/29/diagramming-scripture/. Choose ones you like, and you could begin to remember parts of a verse or verses soon.
3. Learn a little more about the context of the Bible passage. What’s the surrounding story or teaching? That will give your brain some connectors.
4. Get a partner and encourage one another until you both get it memorized.
5. Stay away from human expectations. God wants His children to love His Word, not be frustrated with it. Know the Spirit is working in your life each time you engage His Holy Word,
Reader, I hope this encourages you to keep going in your pursuit of hiding God’s Word in your heart. To everyone reading, remember, as good as it feels to conquer a scripture, you may not be able to have instant recall later. The reward is you know it is hidden in your heart(Psalm 119:11), and it will not come back void(Isaiah 55:11).
If any readers have other tips, please share them in the comments.
Thanks for taking the time to read my article. If you aren’t signed up already, please add your email below, and hit subscribe. Each time I publish, you will receive Winning Ways to Follow Jesus in your email first. Blessings.